Pages

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Bubbas Bath.




There are a lot of improvements we're doing to the house here at the farm. When we moved in, it looked a bit like that girl you run into 20 years after you graduated high school. You know the one. She had a super cool haircut in 1988. Wore all the latest styles. Had that pair of perfectly broken in acid washed jeans with the suede knee patches that you were desperate for. But you see her now and her "look" stayed the same. You know she's all excited that the '80's are back. Poor thing. Bless her heart.
Anyway, we've done some major improvements like ripping up the two tone blue wall to wall carpet (so disgusting it hurt my feelings) and laying down hardwood floors. Painting faded to grey shutters with a fresh coat of white paint and building a screened porch where there was only a carport. Now we're putting our attention to Bubba's bathroom. Which in a 3/2 is also the guest bath. I didn't take a closeup photo of the fabulous seahorse wallpaper before I tore it down because I was afraid of the stampede of people trying to get it from me. Sorry, stuck in the '80's folks. It's in the trash. I do however still have a heat lamp. You remember those. You turn the little timer on the wall and a super strong lightbulb heats up the room. I think it's the ancestor to the heated towel rack and radiant heat floors.
So down came the wallpaper and unfortunately the builder didn't prime the walls before they installed the fabulous seahorse wallpaper. After years of heat and humidity, off came a good portion of drywall paper. And where that didn't happen the wallpaper backing was holding on for dear life. So I used the super popular (so I know it will be completely design irrelevant in 5 years) beadboard wallpaper to cover up the disaster. This actually isn't too bad, except that it looks a little country to me which is not my most favorite design style. But who knows, maybe I just haven't come into my country phase yet. We do what we can and we could not afford to replace all of the drywall right now.
Last week was all tile all the time. Ry and I split up the job with him laying most of the hardee backer and me finishing it up then laying all of the whole pieces of tile and him coming in and doing the cuts. Then all of us including Bubba, put the grout in. this post would be a "How To"except for the fact that neither of us will be able to get work as professional tile setters,  so I recommend checking out a post in the "how to" section of Young House Love or watching a  few YouTube videos.
This week is caulk, spackle, paint week. I'm a big fan of "Oops" paint (that's not a brand just the returns of indecisive customers) at Home Depot. $5 dollars for a gallon, $3 for a quart. And let me tell you, if you're in there as much as we are (Bubba and I go to Home Depot like some people take their kids to the park) you can get some great paint colors. I mix the paints together to get the color I want so this works perfect for me. (I will post a how to on mixing paint soon)
So we've got this great turquoise blue that I'm gonna put on the ceiling and the rest of the room will be painted off white. Or at least that's the current plan. You'll have to check back and see. Who knows what interruptions will occur to change it. Gotta go, Bubba's decided the dogs teeth look like tile and they need some grout. Talk to ya soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment