Pages

Saturday, July 31, 2010

A Welcome Interruption.

My friend Sue came to visit! Actually that should be "MY FRIEND SUE CAME TO VISIT!!!" That's how excited I am. I met Sue when I lived in the Fabulous Florida Keys and she should be called "Fabulous Sue". Because she's FABULOUS! Can you tell that I'm excited she came to visit? Sue is an amazing photographer. And a fabulous mom to two beautiful hippie girls and a fantastic wife to "The Professor". And a goofball. Not necessarily in that order. The "goofball" part is my favorite.
When Ry and I got married in 2003, Sue had just had hippie girl #1 and wasn't quite sure she was ready to get back to work, so I begged her to shoot our wedding. And I begged. And I begged. And I begged some more. I think I mentioned that if she didn't do it I would be stuck with this guy -

Really, no one hates anyone that much. 
And of course she agreed and she took the most amazing pictures of an amazing day in my life. And if I had them ANYWHERE on this computer I would show them to you. So add that project to my list of 
to dos.

Anyhoo, we had the BEST time! Our kids got along like peanut butter and jelly. Like peas and carrots. Like hot dogs and beer. And that would be because she is a FABULOUS mom. Did I mention that? We also got a visit from another fabulous girl that we both know from Floor-E-Dah. Miss Anne had moved back to good ol' Delaware (the state of her birth) and was able to come down to the farm. We hung out in the yard while the kids chased all manner of bugs that may or may not be poisonous, venomous, or contagious. Then we all had chicken legs for dinner. We cooked them first. I'm safety conscious like that.
The next day, Bubba and I showed the girls around town. Then we all went over to "Da Fir". Which would be how people around these parts say The Fair. The Delaware State Fair to be exact. We loaded up in Ry's monster truck and boy were we glad we took that. The parking people at "da fir" took one look at the size of those tires and decided we had to be cabbage hand carnies, they just kept waving us through and we drove all the way up to just about the front door for a primo rock star parking spot.
And I know primo rock star parking spots. Not because I'm a primo rock star, but because I know a primo rock star and we once went to see Elton John and Billy Joel, and with my rock star friend in the car, we were directed around all manner of limousines and regular folk cars to park all up inside the arena. It was one of the coolest moments of my life. It's what makes me completely understand the Lohan family.
Da Fir has all the things that make a great fir. Rides, games, pigs, cows, horses, goats, fried oreos, etc. They even have a new food item this year :

Doughnut + Burger = Doughnutburger!!!

I know, I couldn't believe it either. Why didn't I think of that? The absolute best part was the mechanical bull. Of course Sue took a turn on that bad boy. She went 6.54 seconds and the cabbage hand carnie running the thing got scared and revved it up to Mach 1000. If she had gone the 8 full seconds she would have won $200. Stupid cabbage hand carnie. 


I tell you it could not have been a better visit unless they stayed for a month. But Sue and the girls had to get up to NY to celebrate her Grammy's 94th birthday. Happy Birthday Grammy! I should have sent her a doughnutburger. 


I would suggest you head right on over to HERE to check out Sue's photography. And right over to HERE if you want to learn more about doughnutburgers. And just in case you've never been to a good ol' country fir check out THIS


Gotta go, Bubba's trying to make his own cotton candy with a torch and the vacuum and he needs my help. Talk to ya soon.

1 comment: